Whatever happens to be on my mind... thoughts, memories, desires, moments captured. Unrestricted by criteria, deadlines, expectations, or requests.

Thanks for visiting! Take a sec to look around and see if anything catches your eye. If not, feel free to navigate away. If so, feel free to sit and read a while...

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Quick Thought & Here We Go...



(photo by David de Groot)
See this? This is the Canon T50. On this film camera is the Canon FD 50mm 1.8 lens. I now have both in my possession. It was found in my house earlier today, and my mother decided to let me have it because I enjoy photography. My mother would never use it anyways...

So now I have this old film camera made in the 1980s (which, by the way, is still in pretty good condition) and I have the opportunity to hone my skills even more. The use of film really makes you work at getting all of the details exact. The only thing that I do not like about this camera is that I cannot control the shutter speed manually. Everything else is pretty much standard as is with any SLR. I presume it will be an enjoyable new series of experiments- with exception to the price of film! OUCH! $5.00 at least with an added cost of production, since I don't have my own film processing dark room.

ANYWHO!

Onward to the study of Righteousness vs. Wickedness.

The post format of the series Righteousness vs. Wickedness will most likely be verse-by-verse analysis of each chapter, 11-24, of Proverbs which deals with this topic. First, the verse will be presented. After reading the verses, I will then proceed to analyze them- providing my opinions and other scripture reference that give more information about the concepts within each verse. I may also draw from scholarly interpretations when my own abilities fail to give adequate descriptions. It is likely that I will focus more on the righteousness aspects of these chapters;  I am searching for what it means to be righteous, not how to be wicked... we as humans tend to know how to do wicked very well.

Without further delay, let's get started.

Proverbs 11:

1. A false balance is abomination to the Lord: but a just weight is his delight. 

God loves truth and justice. In fact, God is Truth.  "I Am the Way, the Truth, and the Life..." (John 14:6). Our God is a just god, who is perfect in every way. Because He is a just god, He requires and delights in justice from His followers. This justice applies to every aspect of our life that involves interaction with others. Part of our jobs as Christians involves providing social justice and benevolence to both Christians and non-believers alike. A righteous person will strive for justice in his own actions and hate falsity.

Righteousness
Search for truth and justice

Wickedness
Falsity/lies in actions for selfish reasons

2. When pride cometh, then cometh shame: but with the lowly is wisdom. 

I laughed as soon as I read this verse. It really is humorous to me! Typically most people would skim over this concept and think 'yeah, that makes sense; next!' This is a profoundly obvious statement...

Of course the Bible is right! Just think about how many stories you have heard of extremely proud men being brought down in shame. It happens all the time, yet the vast majority of us never weigh our own big heads. I believe that pride is a devastatingly large problem within our western culture, and one that goes unnoticed. I have been through many scenarios in which my own pride caused me great suffering, embarrassment, and shame.

On the other hand, a good number of the world's most successful icons tend towards humility. Sure, they may be talented, brilliant, rich, brilliantly rich, or all 3, but the best of them are also humble about it. Those who are not, are often hated or disliked. For example: T.O., aka Terrell Owens, was and still is amazing at what he does on the football field. Despite his talent, he was dreadfully prideful in how he displayed it. As a result, the better half of the NFL and its following despised T.O. because he was so haughty.

Since we are going with football images here, take a look at Peyton Manning. He is one of football's most successful quarterbacks. He has enjoyed a long, enjoyable career (with exception to injuries like the one he has now); and throughout the majority of his time in the NFL, he has seen countless victories. Even though he could have boasted about how good he was/is, Manning has been recognizably humble about his star athlete status. I believe that his humility played a large part in his overall success. Those who demonstrate humility are given wisdom. It just comes with the territory. As a result, they are able to choose their actions wisely and find favor.

James 4:10-
"Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up."

Proverbs 18:12-
"Before destruction the heart of man is haughty, and before honor is humility."

Righteousness
Humility  --> Wisdom  --> Success

Wickedness
Pride --> Selfish Actions --> Shame

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, questions, snide remarks...