Whatever happens to be on my mind... thoughts, memories, desires, moments captured. Unrestricted by criteria, deadlines, expectations, or requests.

Thanks for visiting! Take a sec to look around and see if anything catches your eye. If not, feel free to navigate away. If so, feel free to sit and read a while...

Saturday, July 9, 2011

A Ride Through History.


One of my favorite things to do is drive- not just to drive, but to travel without direction. Today I took the time to go exploring for a while. I had no idea where I was going or where the road would take me. As it turned out, I would be driving through history.
My excursion brought me to the “Historic Town of Marshall, NC.”
Nothing more in size than a hole in the wall, Marshall’s downtown spanned less than about 1 square mile. Despite its size, this area had quite a lot to offer. It was void of modern pleasures, but packed with tradition and relics of a time not so long ago.
In finding this town, I was reminded of a more calm, less complicated time in which my parents and grandparents lived.
My stay was limited, but the time that I spent in downtown Marshall was very advantageous. I rode off into the distance with a new state of mind. I now have a more acute appreciation for simplicity and historical beauty.
Having this experience sure makes it easier to listen to the words of our elders: “Back in my day, we used to…” seems just a little bit more real than it did before this experience.

I then proceeded to go home, eat, and chop down a few trees. Overall, today was a great day.

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a really nice day...did you take those pictures yourself? They are really good, i especially like the one of the rail - is that the right word in english? i hate it when i have the word at the tip of my tongue...maybe it's railings? anyways the fourth one from the top. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Antonella- Yes, with the exception of maybe 4 photos, I have taken all of the pictures you see on my blog.
    It depends on what you are talking about: if you are talking about the structures themselves, they are known as the rails or the tracks. If you are talking about the structure as a whole, it is know as the railway, railroad, or train tracks. Either way, you had the right idea.
    Thanks for reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the English lesson :-)

    You are a very talented photographer too then, good for you! Write again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Antonella- what is your original language? You write very well from what I can see. Thanks for the comments on my photography! It is a lovely hobby that I am looking to turn into a profit sometime in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm Italian!Thanks for saying that :-)
    I've started taking English seriously about 6/7 years ago and i'm glad i got at least where i am with it (you should hear me speak though, you can so tell i'm foreigner, still since i always look at the bright side of things i'm glad i don't really sound English cause well, i'm not, so the accent makes me more exotic or something, ahah) ...one of the reasons i started blogging was to have an excuse to write in Eglish, or better yet to force myself to write in English, cause i'm really lazy and have to have an excuse to do things otherwise i'll never get around to them.
    anyways i love the new post about photography, it's grat to see the before and after too...i was particularly impressed by the one with the water which acquired a whole different 'character' when you turned it to b&w
    Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Italian huh?! I'd say that's pretty exotic! haha I have a few friends with Italian backgrounds. They're so fun.

    ReplyDelete

Comments, questions, snide remarks...